If you live in Southern California then you are already feeling the effects of El Niño this year. Since Southern Californians don’t have to regularly deal with rain they are often unprepared when it does come. Setting up your home to properly drain water and keep it out are the first step in avoiding damage to your home. Follow these 5 steps in order to prevent water damage to your home:
1. Check your home for any places where rain could leak in from outside. Places to check are any joints, these areas allow water inside of your home when not properly fixed. Getting licensed professionals to check for leaks is the best way to prevent them from occurring.
2. Remove any debris from gutters outside of the home. While it’s dry outside, we don’t notice how much builds up in our gutters. It’s only until it starts to rain that people realize how clogged their gutters are. Make sure that your gutters are all safely secured and connected so that they properly drain.
3. Paint any exposed areas on the outside of your home where the paint has worn or come off. This will prevent any exposed materials from getting wet and creating dry rot or allowing termites inside.
4. Look at the caulking around all of the window panes in the home. Caulking degrades over time and loosens around the glass panes in a window. There will be gaps where rain can enter the home through the caulking. Properly replacing old caulking on windows will prevent this from happening.
5. Ensure that all drains are functioning properly. Check all of the drains in and outside of your home to make sure they work. If any drains are clogged they present opportunities for your home to flood in the event of heavy rain.
Call Water Damage Zone, Inc. today (877) 520.1923– your future bills may be a lot smaller, if you follow these simple tips. You can also visit our sister company for further information on restoration services at Best American Builders.
We specialize in the following services:
- 24/7 Emergency Response
- Water Extraction
- Water Damage
- Direct Billing to Insurance
- Locally Owned and Operated
- Water Cleanup
- Water Dry outs
- Visual Mold Inspections
- Sewage Damage Cleanup
- Sterilizing & Odor Removal
- Licensed & Bonded #963976
- Reputable Los Angeles based company
Water Damage Zone, Inc.
15115 Califa St. Ste. C
Van Nuys, CA 91411